Author Topic: How to post photos to the forum  (Read 4477 times)

Offline Andrew

• Hack
    • Andrew Hennell
How to post photos to the forum
« on: June 20, 2008, 08:36:51 AM »
There are two main ways to add photos to your forum posts - the first is to post them via a 3rd-party photo site such as photobucket, and the other is to attach them. Instructions for both are here:

To post from 3rd-party sites

PHOTOBUCKET - http://photobucket.com/
Firstly, you have to register with Photobucket,it's a free image and video hosting and photosharing website. http://photobucket.com/register.php?ref=login

Then follow these steps.

This is how to put photos in Photobucket that are already on your computer or if you want to get them off the net. (not from emails - that has different instructions):

To get photos from your pc onto photobucket (uploading):
1. Open PHOTOBUCKET. Click on 'my album', scroll down to 'upload images and videos'. Click the BROWSE button.
2. 'My Pictures' will open. Scroll through the list to find the picture you want to post.
3. Select image by clicking it once (left click). Side note: the yellow things are 'folders'. Double click them to get the photos in them. Then to go back to previous folder, click green arrow.
4. After clicking on image, it will be outlined with a blue line. Then click on 'open' in bottom RH corner.
5. Then that brings you back to 'Upload Images and Videos'. Left click UPLOAD and wait. A big window will come up saying 'Your Images Have Been Uploaded'.

To post pics on BCHF:
1. Open BCHF reply box where you want to post your pic. Minimise it.
2. Open PHOTOBUCKET and go to 'my album'.
3. Select the photo you'd like to post. Left click on the IMG Code under the photo. It will copy automatically into your clipboard.
4. Then go back to your BCHF reply box.
5. Left click in reply box, then Right click and select 'paste' where you want to add the image in your message. The pasted text must have the 'img' tags to work.
6. Then click on 'PREVIEW' to see if it's worked. The photo itself with your title should now be visible. Now you can go back down to the "Reply" box and click on "Post ".

Flickr is not yet forum-friendly, as you have to link to the flickr page in order to see the image and this isn't so easy. Lovely site but that bit is annoying.

Picasa also has embedding options for you to use.

To attach photos to your post

Note: Attached photos are not permanent, they may be removed after a period of time (18-24 months)

Under the text box when you reply, you'll see "Additional Options"

Click on the little + sign, and it'll expand

Where it says "Attach" - find the file on your computer, and upload it.

There's a limit of 4 attachments per post, 150kb each attachment and 450kb per post.

unless your pics are too big - then photobucket, picasa, etc. auto-resize things during upload so if you're stuck with large pics on your PC and can't upload via attachment system, then it's back to photobucket or whichever for your pics.

Your attachment will be added after your post. Click on the image of the attachment to see it larger, click on the filename below to download it.

Offline Andrew

• Hack
    • Andrew Hennell
Re: How to post photos to the forum
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 09:07:51 AM »
When posting photos, can you try to keep the size down?

With photo editing software (I recommend Irfanview: free, easy to use, and very good) RESIZE the image to something like 600 or 800 pixels wide. This will allow the photo to be seen clearly in most computer screens. It also makes it a much smaller filesize, making it quicker to download. When saving as a JPG, set the quality to 6 to 7 - again, this massively reduces the file size.

As a random example, Anokino's photo of Nero (http://bushcapital.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=1181.msg10671#msg10671) was posted as 1024x768 in size, filesize 432kb. For forum members not on broadband (there are quite a few), a 56kb modem would take up to 2 minutes to download... but I'm getting a bit geeky here! ;)

I resized the image as I described above, using Irfanview to resize it to 600wide and saving with JPG quality of 7, the size is now 66k.

now, on a slower modem, it now takes around 6 seconds to load - much friendlier :)

ps: not picking on Anokino in particular, just a random photo I picked for illustration.

Offline Andrew

• Hack
    • Andrew Hennell
Re: How to post photos to the forum
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 06:09:23 AM »
Updated to indicate that 'attached' images may not be permanent, and the better way for long-term photos is still photobucket.