Author Topic: Barclays Anti Cribbing Collar  (Read 2286 times)

Mangoes

Barclays Anti Cribbing Collar
« on: March 17, 2010, 05:10:49 PM »
Not sure if this is the best section but just saw this advertised in Horse Deals and wonder if anyone has any feedback.

I have an old miracle collar that belonged to my previous windsucker that is now waiting at the RB but don't want to use it if there is a better option out there.

Offline cyrus

• Hack
Re: Barclays Anti Cribbing Collar
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 06:15:08 PM »
Somone on here did say they had one- it delivers an electrical charge I think-
I like the old stirrup leather I have, and try to reduce tension for said horse, as hes a classic at windsucking when he thinks life isnt quite the way it should be- example- change agistment- but hes much more settled now- ( maybe hes choking as I did him up sooo tight  ::) and thats why he was nose into the corner perhaps- nop where to suck- I am waiting to see his toof marks on that nice wood in there  ::) :o
«ÇÝ®ú§»44 
HORSESR4EVA

Offline Taff Pony

• Hack
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 08:48:16 PM »
I looked at this one when I had Milly, but didn't like the idea of shocking her - she was stressed enough as it was. Plus I couldn't see how they could guarantee to ONLY shock when windsucking, and not when she was playing about in the paddock etc. I used the miracle collar and it worked perfectly, I would definitely go for that one again.
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow. ~Mary Anne Radmacher

Offline ponyfire

• Pony
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 01:17:02 PM »
I know a horse the shock worked on really well...but only for a few months, now he windsucks and gets the shock but doesn't care.
We thought it wasn't working so tested it out, ooops, glad it wasn't me, it sure was working.
What is the miracle collar?

Offline cyrus

• Hack
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 05:52:58 PM »
The miracle collar is a Y shaped leather strap, that is in horse shops for abotu $90 or so, it goes in front of the ears and behind the ears
They all need to be relatively tight to work well
«ÇÝ®ú§»44 
HORSESR4EVA

Offline ponyfire

• Pony
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 08:40:12 AM »
The miracle collar is a Y shaped leather strap, that is in horse shops for abotu $90 or so, it goes in front of the ears and behind the ears
They all need to be relatively tight to work well

Thanks Cyrus, I do know those now I know what it looks like. My exp too that it needs to be super tight to work if the horse is chronic.
Always hoping for a better cure.
Pony

Offline screwloose

• Hack
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 08:40:48 AM »
I use and swear by the Miracle Collar. although they do need replacing every 12 months or so ( the leather stretches and becomes soft allowing the horse to windsuck)
i considered the Anti Cribbing collar, but as mentioned earlier, i wasnt sure with the electric shock! my mare windsucks when she is stressed or bored so shocking her would only make things worse. Plus the casing on it is only plastic and seemed fairly weak ( for those harsh plays in the paddock!!!)
"You tell a gelding, ask a stallion and discuss with a mare..."

Offline Deano

• Pony
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 10:05:08 PM »
Thorughbredcrazy on here uses this collar on her chronic windsucker. i think its this one :S sounds the same.

But no matter how tight it is, when he windsucks it clicks and doesn't seem to phase him AT ALL. He continues to winduck away. :S
She recently got a new one which already doesn't seam to be having an affect when it comes to clicking and delivering the shock.
But then when he has the leather miracle collar on he acts as if he is choking, and seems to struggle to eat or something....
Maybe he is just a special windsucker who ignores the shock from the collar. Apparently the guy that they got the anti cribbing collar from said 3 months with the collar on and he will have stopped.

Offline jillaroo

• Hack
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 11:53:34 AM »
I used the Miracle Collar.  It didn't stop the cribbing, but it certainly slowed it down.  I have seen some horses where it stops them as soon as it goes on.  I did try the shock system, but with a dog training collar so we could deliver the shocks.  That was an epic failure, because she knew when it was on and when it wasn't, and could spot us with the control, so she would only crib when we were out of range.  It was a big game. ::)
“whatever part of the horse you hold on to is a part that the horse cannot use.”
Eddo Hoekstra

Offline cally

• Shetland
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 03:09:21 PM »
I work at a stable where a horse wears a 'Miracle Collar' and he still windsucks and cribs. I've seen him with it off once and he didn't carry out the behaviour.  He has bald patches from it being so tight & watching him try to eat is upsetting.

My horse windsucks/cribs and is 20 yrs old.  The vet says his teeth are fine, and since removing the collar his previous owner had on him, his health has improved and he has more confidence and has moved up in the herd order.  He is outdoors all of the time and does it after eating for a few minutes- like someone having an after dinner cigarette.

W.sucking/cribbing is your horse's way of alleviating stress and/or boredom by releasing endorphins.  There is no cure, & recent studies from the UK suggest it's not 'contagious', but horses living in similar stressful or understimulated environments (like stables) learn to do anything that alleviates their unhappiness.

The collar may make you feel better, but they do little in a positive sense for your horse.

Offline Tash

• Hack
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 03:12:27 PM »
My friends horse has a mericle collar and works great... funny though she goes he wind sucks occasisionally in the paddock or when I bring him in - either groom, ride, change rugs ect..

I took him into full time stabling and had the colar on 50% off time.. never when I was doing stuff on him and maybe left the colar off some nights and he never wind sucked