Author Topic: Proud flesh (human not horsey!!)  (Read 15186 times)

Offline lucifer

• Galloway
    • Equine Dentistry
Proud flesh (human not horsey!!)
« on: July 29, 2009, 09:17:59 PM »
So, does anyone know how to get rid of proud flesh on humans?  My index finger had a run in with some horse molars about 6 weeks ago, resulting in me being minus one fingernail and cruched bone etc, with surgery to repair the nail bed and clean out the bone.  Now the nail seems to be growing back ok but there is a growing lump of proud flesh appearing on the nail bed, which is covering up the new nail :(  I know I really should go and see a doc but I have no time to do so until at least next week!  I'm NOT putting Equaide or copper sulphate on it, or anything else that might hurt or be toxic!  Any other suggestions?  (And I bet Cyrus says peroxide  ;) )

Offline cyrus

• Hack
Re: Proud flesh (human not horsey!!)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 09:24:50 PM »
I do I do- nothing beats it LOL

Soak it in the stuff LOL- but you may find its like toenail, that gets stomped on, and it ends up a "horny nail"  if you know what that looks like-

have you seen the dr again- and maybe asked if it needs more antibiotics..
«ÇÝ®ú§»44 
HORSESR4EVA

Offline cyrus

• Hack
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 09:26:56 PM »
besides its cheap-  or try listerine.
My hubby sent me this one- it explains why listerine works  so well on the horses thrush in the feet too-

Its an email i got- I dont say it works LOL-
Who knew?
Did you know that drinking two glasses of Gatorade can relieve headache pain almost immediately-without the unpleasant side effects caused by traditional pain relievers?   

Did you know that Colgate Toothpaste makes an excellent salve for burns?   

Before you head to the drugstore for a high-priced inhaler filled with mysterious chemicals, try chewing on a couple of curiously strong Altoids peppermints. They'll clear up your stuffed nose.

Achy muscles from a bout of the flu? Mix 1 tablespoon horseradish in 1 cup of olive oil. Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes, then apply it as a massage oil for instant relief for aching muscles.
Sore throat? Just mix 1/4 cup of vinegar with 1/4 cup of honey and take 1 tablespoon six times a day. The vinegar kills the bacteria.
Cure urinary tract infections with Alka-Seltzer. Just dissolve two tablets in a glass of water and drink it at the onset of the symptoms. Alka-Seltzer begins eliminating urinary tract infections almost instantly-even though the product was never advertised for this use.
Honey remedy for skin blemishes... cover the blemish with a dab of honey and place a Band-Aid over it. Honey kills the bacteria, keeps the skin sterile, and speeds healing. Works overnight.
Listerine therapy for toenail fungus: Get rid of unsightly toenail fungus by soaking your toes in Listerine Mouthwash. The powerful antiseptic leaves your toenails looking healthy again.
Easy eyeglass protection... to prevent the screws in eyeglasses from loosening, apply a small drop of Maybelline Crystal Clear Nail Polish to the threads of the screws before tightening them.
Cleaning liquid that doubles as bug killer... if menacing bees, wasps, hornets, or yellow jackets get in your home and you can't find the insecticide, try a spray of Formula 409. Insects drop to the ground instantly.
Smart splinter remover: Just pour a drop of Elmer's Glue-All over the splinter, let dry, and peel the dried glue off the skin. The splinter sticks to the dried glue.
Hunt's Tomato Paste boil cure... cover the boil with Hunt's Tomato Paste as a compress. The acids from the tomatoes soothe the pain and bring the boil to a head.

Balm for broken blisters... to disinfect a broken blister, dab on a few drops of Listerine, a powerful antiseptic.
Vinegar to heal bruises... soak a cotton ball in white vinegar and apply it to the bruise for 1 hour. The vinegar reduces the blueness and speeds up the healing process.
Quaker Oats for fast pain relief... it's not for breakfast any more! Mix 2 cups of Quaker Oats and 1 cup of water in a bowl and warm in the microwave for 1 minute, cool slightly, and apply the mixture to your hands for soothing relief from arthritis pain.

If you send this to one person who doesn't know about this, then it was worth it.
«ÇÝ®ú§»44 
HORSESR4EVA

Offline cyrus

• Hack
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 09:28:13 PM »
manuka honey maybe ;D
«ÇÝ®ú§»44 
HORSESR4EVA

Offline lucifer

• Galloway
    • Equine Dentistry
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 09:37:17 PM »
manuka honey maybe ;D

I was waiting for this one too lol...

Offline cyrus

• Hack
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 09:41:15 PM »
well- do the listerine ;) surely that cant hurt too bad- ::)
«ÇÝ®ú§»44 
HORSESR4EVA

Offline Ezza

• Hack
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 09:43:14 PM »
If the movies have taught us anything, its that Windex or hummus can cure everything! :D

Offline Chick With Altitude

• Pony
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 10:07:53 PM »
Left field - go to a chinese doctor / acupuncturist.  My Aunt (not Chinese) studied in China for years and she has done magical things with scars, etc through massage and acupuncture.  You might be able to learn your own way to massge the area to encourage healthy healing.
A dog may be man's best friend, but the horse wrote history.

Offline Ride-on

• Hack
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 10:18:20 PM »
I second acupuncture - cheap, painfree, and will help a host of other issues in the meantime (period pain, back pain, stiff neck, digestion...)

Offline cyrus

• Hack
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 10:19:22 PM »
ahhhaaa I forgot- red light therapy LOL-  and few tea leaf readers to boot ;D
Red light might really help tho.
«ÇÝ®ú§»44 
HORSESR4EVA

Offline Christina

• Hack
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 10:25:07 PM »
I had a hypertrophic scar on my upper ear from a piercing.  It only developed after I took the piercing out.  I wouldn't mess about and get straight to the Doctor.  In my case the scarring was pretty bad because I took ages to get around to going to the doctors (just wore my hair down).  The doctors didn't give me any options other than surgical removal.  My understanding is that even with surgical removal its a pretty even chance that the scar would come back.  Mine didn't though, thankfully.

If you look really closely at me now, my left ear is slightly shorter than my right ear because it has had so much flesh removed ;)
Horses can't talk, but they will speak if you listen.

Offline Alison

• Hack
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 07:48:09 AM »
ask a chemist, the'll usually know if some potion or lotion would help.

Offline Andrew

• Hack
    • Andrew Hennell
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 08:15:02 AM »
I agree with the chemist route - copper suplhate crystal may burn it off, or even a wart treatment which is a mild acid and just dries out the skin so it drops off. But I also recommend getting to the dr as soon as you can.

Offline amamba

• Hack
  • Reality is for Losers
    • www.kingshillridingschool.com
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 08:32:37 AM »
Sorry....I'd go the "Copper Sulphate"

NOT IF IT WAS ON ME OF COURSE!!!   only on you   ;)

No, really...I'd go see my 'Quack"   pronto!

Don't be afraid to take a huge leap if one is indicated.....You can't cross a chasm in two small jumps

Offline Stablekitty

• Hack
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 09:08:58 AM »
I'm with Amamba, MAKE some time for the DOCTOR. If you have to cancel one horse and put it off till another time surely thats better then getting some kind of nasty infection and not being able to do any horses?

You remind me of the babe. What babe? The babe with the power. What power? The power of the voodoo. Who do? You do. Do what? Remind me of the babe.

Offline cyrus

• Hack
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 09:18:35 AM »
I am "see the dr too"  after my finger all swelled up etc too, after a hay prick in it.
It can affect your joint too, so Drs know best, then you try all the other stuff to help the Drs ideas along LOL.
Of course I would still choose peroxide ;D
«ÇÝ®ú§»44 
HORSESR4EVA

Offline jillaroo

• Hack
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2009, 09:56:23 AM »
As an acupuncturist, there are lots of herbal preps that might help, but I would still recommend seeing the GP.  Post surgery, you have an easy route for the infection to get deeper.  Sometimes infections like this will just go deeper into your system, affecting your joints and causing infectious arthritis.  It isn't something to mess with and you do need to see someone.  ASAP
“whatever part of the horse you hold on to is a part that the horse cannot use.”
Eddo Hoekstra

Offline Rozzie

• Hack
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 02:11:47 PM »
I had 'proud flesh' once on my toe, it was all swollen, sore and gross. I went to the doctor (had trouble getting a shoe on!) and told her I had 'proud flesh'. After telling her all about proud flesh on horses, and being reminded I wasn't a horse, she said my 'proud flesh' was secondary to a staff infection and it could have been nasty. I got some prescription antibiotic cream to put on it for a while. Toe's still there. Didn't drop off. Could have gotten nasty... eiw

Better get it checked out! Not sure if staff bacteria live in horse mouths...

Offline lucifer

• Galloway
    • Equine Dentistry
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 07:17:40 PM »
Yeah I will go to the docs but I can't get in until Monday.  It looks a bit worse today :(

Rozzie I told my hubby I had proud flesh and he laughed, pretty much said that I'm not a horse too.  I showed my aunt, who is a nurse and completely un-horsey, she said it was proud flesh!!  She says she's always known it as proud flesh on people.

I just can't do the peroxide or listerine, sorry Cy!

Offline cyrus

• Hack
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 07:24:37 PM »
Its better than waiting til MONDAY- ( or might help while you wait)
Even my OH and 19yo use it now -  cause it works ;)

It helped my little pinky-  but antibiotics were needed.

«ÇÝ®ú§»44 
HORSESR4EVA