Author Topic: Meroth Leatherbit or Pee Wee bit - used one?  (Read 3320 times)

Offline Ride-on

• Hack
Meroth Leatherbit or Pee Wee bit - used one?
« on: May 23, 2009, 05:53:56 PM »
Has anyone used one of these bits?  If so, what for and thoughts?

Meroth Leatherbit - see http://www.horse-connection.com.au/bridlesandhalters.html

Pee Wee - www.peeweebit.com

Offline claire

• Galloway
Re: Meroth Leatherbit or Pee Wee bit - used one?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 07:13:51 AM »
Sorry, haven't used either but have used sort of similar bits.
I used a home made Indian style rope loop as a bit once just for fun. Pony was happy and rider hooned with the same amount of control as with ponies usual FM. Not a reliable trial as I was 12 and only playing at Cowboys and Indians but there is no reason not to try out your horses opinion using a light leadrope.
Regarding the Peewee; I find that many horses appreciate a mullen mouth snaffle. The sweet iron and sliimness would also suit some horses but I'm not sure on the action of the cheek pieces.
Would be best to try to borrow the bits if possible and trial them. Horses usually let you know what they think.  ;D
For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks.

Offline Christina

• Hack
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 11:31:17 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOqaD4oxayk&feature=related

I wouldn't like to try and stop Rosie with that 'ultra soft' leather bit!
Horses can't talk, but they will speak if you listen.

Offline BuckUp

• Galloway
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 11:50:35 AM »
Get a thin dog collar from big w ($10) and a couple of rings from the hardware store (0.50) and make your own Meroth Leatherbit.  I can't believe it - $119 for a piece of leather - what a rip off.

The other thing looks like a home made mullen mouth with a curb. No wonder they claim it gives you all this control, it's a curb bit. With such a thin mouthpiece and the curb, I would hate to see the results if used by a beginner.

Am I just a "grumpy old woman" and too cynical for my own good. We used to hoon around with bits of rope bareback coz we didn't have a choice, now someone is out there selling $80 orange sticks, $100 bits of string, and $100s for the "instructional videos" to use gear that you could find in your garage - what's more, people are sucking it up like there's no tomorrow - it's a MARKETING MIRACLE - charging people fortunes to ride the way you had to when you couldn't afford any gear.

Offline Ride-on

• Hack
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 05:21:10 PM »
I'm liking the DIY version of the leather bit...  :)

As for the pee wee, it looks scary to me but I've done the reading and heard the recommendations and supposedly it is equivalent to a 'snaffle' unless set with the reins on different rings - then it operates as a curb bit.  I tried my friend's today, set as a 'snaffle' and went 28km in it...and well, I'm even further confused.

Because it sits without engagement (and I ride on a loose rein) it was great.  My pony was the most relaxed she's been for ages, by this I mean she engaged with the bit a little (rather than the usual, sitting behind it or just straight out bracing against me), rushed less and when she did try to brace, rather than her head going in the air, she braced downwards - the bracing itself was no worse than usual when we were going home, if not a little better.

I once tried a hackamore on her and she didn't like it, it was far too strong - when she braced against it, her head went straight up and I thought I could even feel a rear coming on.  So the reaction was nothing like that at all.

So, performance = better, relaxation = better, pony had a great attitude all day but does that mean that the bit is actually stronger than it's supposed to be, or that I've actually found a bit she's happy with hmmmmmm....

So people, anyone understand how this bit is in fact gentler and why I'm getting good results?  (either she's happy, or conversely, it's really strong...)

Offline Ride-on

• Hack
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 09:50:34 PM »
FYI - Pee Wee Bit explanation from my friend who owns the one I'm trialling:

It's narrower but it is designed to sit slightly lower in the mouth (did you read exact fitting instructions?) so while she is at rest she can hardly feel it is there, the idea is that the sweet iron, and narrowness and bend all combine to it being very light and soft in the mouth which helps to prevent the difficulties which come with thicker bits which are supposedly softer but which take up so much room in the mouth that they can be uncomfortable/awkward. I think this is why Missy likes it, there isn't much of it so she can forget about it.

When it does come into play, the pressure is even across the bars of the mouth and because it isn't jointed the pressure is felt agaisnt the tongue before any bony part of the mouth, so she has an opportunity to react to pressure before it comes against anything which might cause pain (ie: the bars/jaw of the mouth) this allows her to have contact with the bit/riders hands without the bit having a lot of contact with the hard (read: painful) parts of the mouth.

When there is contact with the bars it is a smaller surface area which can mean more harsh however if you think about it the pressure is the same whether it comes against a small surface area or a large one, it's sort of like the difference between being whipped with a leather thong and and baseball bat, the thong will cause more pain but it will be localised, the baseball bat will cause less specific pain but will cause generalised bruising and could break your leg. Remember it's a mullen mouth (smooth, even bar) not a twisted wire or a bit with a port (western or other shank bit with the upside down U shape that pushes against the top of the palate) there is no curb action (pressure under the jaw and across the top of the head) unless you attach the reins to the small rings in which case the curb action is against the tongue in a soft fashion, not like a ported bit.

The bars down the side are to enable the horse to react to the sideways pressure before they react to the downward pressure, so you are pushing the head sideways first with the bars and then pulling it sideways with the bit. The black strap should be done up really loosely. My understanding is that it is there for weight not any action.

Offline verypiedpiper

• Hack
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 10:12:20 AM »
I have tried a leather bit on my particularly bad mouthed youngster. After failing to remouth him, I have tried everything.
The leather bit was quite good , they wear out due to saliva etc so the leather has to be replaced. But for a horse who was offended by the normal type of bit it made him happy.
Showjumping is love...

Online Anokino

• Hack
  • Anoki
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 10:13:44 AM »
VPP, did you then move back to a normal bit or have you chosen to stay with the leather?

Offline verypiedpiper

• Hack
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 10:53:25 AM »
I swap between a few bits and its one that I continually go back to. I try to use a simple snaffle {myler} or the leather bit when I do flatwork. I figure that ill persist and he might get more tolerant over time. With the jumping I rotate between a combination myler bit {with hackamore noseband} a straight bar happymouth, the leather bit and a plain hackamore {no bit}
He's a tricky horse, the thing that upsets him is when the pressure is all in one spot and too hard so I'm trying the nosebands to try and disperse the pressure. Somedays he is good and I can ride him sweetly in the leather bit other days when he is a bit strong or dull I need something different.
I know  it sounds terrible but it works for this horse. 
Showjumping is love...

Online Anokino

• Hack
  • Anoki
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 11:07:15 AM »
No I don't think that sounds terrible at all. Terrible would be just getting harsher and harsher to try and fix the problem.

I found my youngster wouldn't readily accept the bit at first either. I tried a number of them before going to the basic Myler. She goes nicely in that most of the time and only starts to lean on it when the rest of her isn't doing what it should (ie she falls onto the forehand, gets confused by something or is trying to avoid a canter transition and starts to rush). I also ride her just in a rope halter when out on trails to make sure her brakes aren't associated with a bit but I do find that she finds it easier to evade using herself properly if I ask for complicated stuff in it.

Anyway, that's all just ramble really. I'm thinking of trying the leather bit with her just to see if she might go even more sweetly in that. But I wont go there just yet as she's now starting to salivate a tiny bit when we do flatwork in the Myler. So I'll stick with that for a while longer for flat work.

Offline verypiedpiper

• Hack
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 11:21:51 AM »
When I can get this one to settle and relax in the myler snaffle, I will use it full time. But thus far its not happening!
Showjumping is love...