Author Topic: riding in the arboretum  (Read 2134 times)

Offline Emma

• Miniature
riding in the arboretum
« on: September 06, 2014, 12:35:27 PM »
I have been for a jog this morning in the arboretum. While I was there I spoke to a lady who works there who said we can bring horses and ride anywhere, as long as we stick to tracks.  I was not aware of this. I knew the bicentennial trail went through there but was always worried I would go off track.

Has anyone had any experience riding there? How did it go? I am very excited to go there soon. I have ridden there for a Pegasus ride once and am keen to get in there again. It was very quiet this morning.

Offline My Treasures

• Galloway
Re: riding in the arboretum
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 04:52:36 PM »
I went for an awesome ride there in April, rode over from CEC and plan to do another one real soon, just loved it.  :shaekheadsmile: 

"My treasures do not clink together or glitter; they gleam in the sun and neigh in the night."
-Arabian Proverb

Offline My Treasures

• Galloway
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 05:02:07 PM »
The views were just stunning.  :)
"My treasures do not clink together or glitter; they gleam in the sun and neigh in the night."
-Arabian Proverb

Offline Emma

• Miniature
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 05:34:53 PM »
I love that you are at the lookout! Now I will definitely go. Did you just follow the big dirt roads?

Offline drf

• Hack
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 06:32:32 PM »
you can go via Equestrian Park down over the causeway at the back of Forest Park and aim diagonally right to near the aquarium. 

Offline My Treasures

• Galloway
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 09:24:12 PM »
We came through Wright near the Twin Ponds, crossed the bridge over the river, across from the RSPCA and just followed the dirt road, turned left after the bridge and through the Pines along the back way, all still on the dirt road and up to the look out, ended up doing a big loop around and coming back along the road next to the Parkway. We didn't stop for coffee that day cause it was really really busy as it was the Anzac day long weekend, but hope to next time. I believe there are water troughs for horses nearby too. :) 
-Arabian Proverb

Offline HedgeWitch

• Pony
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 01:05:23 PM »
Only stick to the main dirt tracks and don't go up Dairy Farmers Hill (horses are not allowed up there) also have seen people riding across the terrace/amphitheatre which isn't allowed as the damage that is done isn't good on the grass/irrigated areas that are a pain to keep nice for the pollies. 

The only places you can really ride there is on the dirt tracks and the Bicentennial Trail part but there is enough dirt tracks for a nice ride though, and they are trying to get some sort of yard so you can go and enjoy a coffee without having to go up on the events terrace (horses are not allowed there either).

Sorry to put a downer on it but you are not allowed to ride just anywhere, only on the dirt tracks and the trail.

Hedgy

Offline Emma

• Miniature
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 07:31:31 PM »
Thanks for that. I guess I wrote it not clearly, I did understand it to mean stick to the roads, that's what I meant when I said tracks. Always good to make sure we understand so we don't buggar it up for others who want to ride in there!

Offline HedgeWitch

• Pony
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 08:26:43 PM »
Guys the horse yards are nearly finished, so you can tie your horses up and have a coffee just ensure that someone stays with the horses but :squee: there is going to be a safe place to put your horse.  I will post photos as soon as I can.

Hedgy

Offline Brindabella

• Miniature
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 11:36:21 AM »
According to the website, you can also ride on the cleared alleys between the forests:

"The Bicentennial  National Equestrian Trail passes through the Arboretum and horse riding is permitted  on designated trails and the cleared alleys between forests. Horses may be  tethered to the rail provided in Forest 21 north of the Pod Playground. Horses  may not be tethered to young trees. Horse floats may not be unloaded within  Arboretum grounds."

http://www.nationalarboretum.act.gov.au/visit/recreation

Offline HedgeWitch

• Pony
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 03:40:09 PM »
The information on the website is out of date (how unusual) the yards are in Forest 13 which is the Buchan Blue Wattle, the rail is decommissioned and these are the new yards.

You will be tying up in the middle section so people cannot just go over and pat your horse, it is fully enclosed but I suggest you take some baling twine with you so you can soft tie just in case.

Hedgy

Offline BoscoB

• Miniature
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 06:43:58 AM »
We had a lovely ride around the Arboretum today and made good use of the new holding yards., 6 horses & plenty of room to spare (you need to take your own bailing  twine or hard tie to metal railing)   The sign on the gate said to put horse poo in the bin provided.... There was no bin to be seen or rake or shovel to pickup anything. Also the water is in a tall water trough, which I think anyone riding a pony under 11hh would struggle to reach... Lucky we all had big steeds, but I am sure there are families with children on small ponies that would thoroughly enjoy riding at the Arboretum as much as we did.  We also encounter at cyclist at break neck speed who didn't give us any indication of his approach...
All in all it was a very nice ride and something we will do more often...

Offline Stripey

• Pony
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 10:24:34 AM »
Does anyone know if you can park floats in the main carpark and then ride around the trails from there?

Offline HJC

• Hack
  • Confidence is the memory of past success
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 07:35:47 PM »
Hey Stripey, see Brindabella's post above. it has a link to the Arboretum website, and it mentions that you can't unload within the Arboretum. Best bet apparently is to park at Equestrian Park and ride over there. Have fun  :)

Offline Africa

• Miniature
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 08:45:46 AM »
The Arboretum policy is that horses are allowed on the dirt tracks and on the wide green allees between the individual forests. Horses are not permitted in the forests themselves or allowed up on the event terrace but there is now a nice horse yard with water just below the Visitor's Centre. The Arboretum says their policy is to welcome horse riders.

The Arboretum is right now undertaking a revue of its future vision. There is a survey you can complete to let them know that horse riding should be part of that future. At the moment the survey does not even mention horse riding. Go to the ACTEA website at www.actea.asn.org for more info.

The link to the survey is http://www.timetotalk.act.gov.au/consultations/?engagement=future-of-the-arboretum-have-your-say.

It is important to make sure as many of your friends as possible fill out the survey and say why they like riding to and in the Arboretum and what is great about it for horses riders. The survey closes on 27 June.