Author Topic: Old dogs  (Read 2083 times)

Offline Baggy

• Hack
Re: Old dogs
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2014, 09:31:24 PM »
Good on you Andrew
So many people would give up.
Gotta love Clicker!
I was also wondering if perhaps you'd changed deodorants.........weird I know but I reckon smells affect memory a lot and perhaps you smelt like the "bad man".
“We must at all times remember poor performance from our horse is NOT an equine conspiracy, but a reflection of our ability to encourage and enlighten the horse to understand our bizarre requests of it.”

Offline Super

• Galloway
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2014, 12:40:03 AM »
I'm so sorry you're going through this. It's sounds like you've had an amazing innings together.

Her lived experiences are her reality. You can't really care for her in her reality when she's not the dog she used to be and you're no longer her trusted person.

There's a lot of anthropomorphism in this thread and I'm not sure that's in the best interest of the dog.

My uncle and aunts dog has dementia and it has seriously been the best thing for him. He's a much happier dog. His first 5-7 years of life were appalling and he never really got over his anxiety - although it improved a lot - until dementia set in. Even the vet thinks it suits him and is happier to do more dental work because he doesn't stay anxious afterwards. He used to be on Valium and Prozac (not together), but he hasn't been on that for about 2 years. He had such a bad start in life that he really deserves his absent minded happiness. He gets lost occasionally, but he is usually found pretty quickly - if you know what I mean.

They seem to really put so much faith in us. Don't know what I'd do if my little bc looked at me like I was dangerous. I'm so sorry for you.

Good luck with this stage. She sounds like a beautiful old lady who has brought you a lot of joy.

Offline Andrew

• Hack
    • Andrew Hennell
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2014, 09:06:46 AM »
no change in any scents - deodorant, shampoo, washing powder, soap, washing liquid, anything. Good thought tho!  I really do think she's still, mostly, happy. She's still typical BC and does lap after lap of the house for hours so still quite mobile.

Snoozing outside this morning...

Offline Baggy

• Hack
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2014, 09:33:20 PM »
How's it going with your dog?
“We must at all times remember poor performance from our horse is NOT an equine conspiracy, but a reflection of our ability to encourage and enlighten the horse to understand our bizarre requests of it.”

Offline Andrew

• Hack
    • Andrew Hennell
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2014, 06:20:48 AM »
She's been doing ok since then.

Offline Andrew

• Hack
    • Andrew Hennell
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2014, 09:37:11 AM »
I was thinking yesterday that, given all the thoughts and comments provided, I should provide an update last night; and that update would be that for a month now all her strange behaviours have gone and she's back happy as ever.

BUT!!   :ohmygod:

Last night she was worse than ever, so scared of me she'd take off and run (ok hop) around the yard and cower. I could not get her inside for the night at all so for the first time in 2 years she slept out.

It's not her fault tho, I'm having a big porch/deck built onto the back of the house so everything she knew about that side of the house is different - no garden, no steps, no landings, no way of getting in those doors. This has totally thrown her sense of the world she knew.

I'm just hoping she settles down tonight, or the porch is finished soon and she manages to find some comfort in coming/going through the door she's known for two years.

Poor old girl   :hug:

Offline Ricca

• Hack
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2014, 10:10:45 AM »
Awww, bless her  :hug:

Hopefully she will get back to normal once things quieten down  :)

Offline Baggy

• Hack
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2014, 12:52:57 PM »
Poor old chook, hope you manage to "click" her back in and sort it out.
Thanks for the update I've been wondering.
My little Cairn still hates the "new" (5yo!) deck and will only use the stairs in one spot or prefers to jump off which is bad for his legs.
They do get set in their ways but I did find lots of treats and observing him eat his way in and out for a while from a distance means he now copes with the "newness!"

Offline Andrew

• Hack
    • Andrew Hennell
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2015, 01:09:27 PM »
After sixteen years, six houses, several doggy and human housemates, my darling Jessie decided today was her day to move on.
Not bad for a RSPCA rescue puppy who I collected on her last day for adoption.
A breakfast of her favourite Good-Os and she peacefully left from her favourite spot on the lawn this morning.

Offline taxi

• Miniature
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2015, 03:25:18 PM »
Sorry to hear you lost your much loved dog. RIP Jessie.

Offline Ricca

• Hack
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2015, 04:22:33 PM »
Rest easy girl  :(

Offline jinda

• Hack
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2015, 07:07:46 PM »
RIP Jessie. She looked like a character!
"Time is a dressmaker specializing in alterations."  - Faith Baldwin -

Offline Sahkoyah

• Hack
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2015, 08:12:48 PM »
I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad, though, that Jessie's passing was peaceful  :'(

Offline Snafflebit

• Hack
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2015, 01:02:15 AM »
vale Jessie