Author Topic: Warning - dog 'grooming' gone wrong  (Read 6625 times)

Offline Ricca

• Hack
Re: Warning - dog 'grooming' gone wrong
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2014, 10:33:17 AM »
Wow, I can't believe these places are still open.....

Surely they should have procedures in place so that dogs cannot 'escape'  :ohmygod:

Offline screwloose

• Hack
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2014, 11:24:47 AM »
Wow!!!!!!!!! I was under the impression animal attractions had closed.......
The poor family.

We should hear shortly the outcome of the court cases. The owner failed to show at the hearing. There have been 2 hearings and one more to go before a verdict is given.
"You tell a gelding, ask a stallion and discuss with a mare..."

Offline drf

• Hack
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2014, 12:20:04 PM »

there are a stream of threads on this issue and in particularly the meadows family on the facebook page Canberra lost pets database if anyone is interested in reading more.

Offline Bellshill Show Ponies

• Pony
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2014, 12:19:22 PM »
Im a groomer with many years of experience. I also compete at the highest level, I would NEVER have a mobile service though!
I work from home, dogs are only there for as long as the job takes, owners are welcome to stay although the dogs will behave much better when owners are not there. I have many who drop their dogs off before work and pick them up on their way home.

The Burning will come from crate drying in Stainless steel crates ( the kind you see at the vets)  with the heat on high. Its also VERY EXTREME and not common!
I work by myself, so I only do as many dogs per day as I can do myself, by hand start to finish.
Large dogs get a quick blow to get excess water out then finished by hand. Small dogs are finished by hand on the table.
its like any service, not all are professional and not all know what they are doing!
there is a HUGE difference from someone who has been grooming dogs for years and doing a quick TAFE course and buying a mobile bath van!
Yes ask questions and if your git tells you something isn't right say no thank you but don't assume because the groomer doesn't have a TAFE cert to say they can groom that they cant!
I would never waste my time with a Dog Grooming cert through tafe or a grooming school. Ive learnt from very experienced International handlers and breeders and would be happy to pit my work against anyones from a grooming school!
glad to see the nuff nuffs in question will be delt with by law!

Offline Bellshill Show Ponies

• Pony
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2014, 12:29:47 PM »
Also NO CLIPPERS should leave cuts or clipper burn!!
I doubt these numbskulls had any idea by the sounds of it!
Your more than welcome if you in the Young area to bring your pooches to me ! LOL

Offline Alison

• Hack
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2014, 09:58:29 PM »
I don't think it matters what the qualifications are of anyone, it comes down to care taken!.  Clippers can cause injury, geesh I took a chunk ouf of my rescue dogs ear when he wiggled but that was less 'damage' than I had a dog have when another one had nails clipped at a vet & a vet nurse who thought a vice clam grip was ok on a small dog.
Really never understood why people can't learn to groom/wash their own dogs rather than pay a stranger to do it.

Offline teen

• Hack
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2014, 08:38:40 AM »
I agree its not the quals but the care, but at the same time I do like the fact that the person I'm using has some quals- either years of experience or a cert. Just cause you have either still doesn't mean your any good.

I used to groom dogs for a living and I even still have the bath and all the bits and pieces at home, but I still at least every 2 mths take my girls into town for a beauty day- one I can't be bothered setting up the hydrobath and we are on tank water which is a real issue at the moment.  2- sometimes its nice to get someone else to really clean them properly 3. Sometimes I use the do it yourself baths.

Most of my clients where quite capable of washing their dog themselves but they never had the time to do it thoroughly.
And if its something you can afford to do every month and you don't enjoy doing it yourself whats the problem with getting them done?
Forgive, forget, and move forward. But most of all SMILE

Offline Alison

• Hack
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2014, 11:05:06 AM »
yeah good point, I just loathe to pay for something I can do myself and don't like to risk my animals with random unknown people

Offline teen

• Hack
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2014, 11:11:28 AM »
Can completely understand. :) When I take them into a parlor :) I'm the annoying person who refuses to leave and watches with an eagle eye.

Forgive, forget, and move forward. But most of all SMILE

Offline drf

• Hack
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2014, 05:28:56 PM »
There is now a $500 reward offered by the Meadows family for the return of their dog Genie (the one who apparently escaped) from the salon at the Macquarie shops.   And apparently the business is under a new manager.

Details on the Canberra lost pet database on FB.     :(

Offline screwloose

• Hack
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2014, 08:41:17 PM »
Things have been quiet on the miley front due to the legal cases going on. The owner has now been served with a notice of bankruptcy, hopefully now all monies can be paid.

Offline Amy

• Shetland
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2014, 04:08:43 PM »
Agree, how horrible!

People should also be aware that some dog groomers are also starting to perform 'dentistry' on dogs. By attempting to scrape off tartar etc in a conscious dog. The trouble is this can't be done properly, by getting up under the gum, without general anaesthesia. They prey on people's fears of anaesthesi but the dogs' teeth may look whiter but they're not actually any cleaner. Given that periodontal disease is associated with kidney, heart and reproductive disease, thi is a animal health & welfare and consumer protection disaster. It's imperative that dentistry remains a vet only practice.

http://www.vetico.com.au/blog/anaesthesia-free-pet-dentistry-is-it-worth-it-496

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvzaUlDUAhU 

Offline codyhorse

• Hack
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2014, 10:26:19 PM »
I always just gave my dog a bone.

Offline screwloose

• Hack